Frasier is a show ahead of its time. More than ten years ago I had brushed it aside and watched more of the “hip” shows like Friends and Sex in the City. Now I can’t stop watching Frasier and I just love the excellent writing from beginning to end.
So, in honor of my new found appreciation of the show, I like to list my favorite Frasier moments. Spoilers ahead for those who are still discovering the show.
1. The Beginning – The Good Son in Season 1 set the tone of what the show is going to be thru a creative introduction of all the characters and their crazy. Winner – the dog Eddie endlessly staring at Frasier.
2. Frasier’s coffee conversations with brother Niles – In My Coffee with Niles, Season 1, the brothers Crane dealt on life questions. This is the first episode which explored the possibility whether Niles was falling in love with Daphne, which he clearly is but is not so aware at that time. There were many other coffee conversations, but this one stood out because it was one of the more meaningful ones.
3. Frasier’s radio show callers – Much of the episodes were devoted on the radio show. Some of the callers were hilarious and the smart alek advice Frasier gives is always a riot. And Frasier and Roz’s banter in and out of the radio station is most hilarious.
4. When Niles finally got his Daphne – The chemistry between Jane Leeves and David Hyde Pierce is evident from the start, but in Moon Dance, Season 3, the chemistry is undeniable when they danced their tango. Too bad it was all a fantasy as Daphne thought Niles was still pretending. But in Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Season 7, the seven year unrequitted love of Niles for Daphne is finally resolved. The buildup was intense and when Daphne appeared in the Winnebago on that final scene, I could only imagine audiences screaming in delight knowing that Daphne chose to be with Niles. Plus, Jane Leeves is at her prettiest in this episode and all of Season 7. In the Proposal, Season 9, Niles prepared the most elaborate proposal, but this did not push through because Daphne was sick. He still asked the question anyway to her “beautiful knees, toes, arms, elbows and shoulders,” and Daphne, whose “nose running and hair a mess,” said yes. The Ring Cycle in Season 10 culminates the relationship thru a low key wedding, or weddings.
5. When Frasier said goodbye to his listeners – In Goodbye, Seattle, the series finale, everybody had moved on to a new chapter – dad Martin remarried, Niles and Daphne had a baby, Roz was promoted to station manager – it is all but proper that Frasier moved on – to San Francisco, or to Chicago, in a final twist. This episode tugged my heartstrings. I loved how it all ended and the poem Frasier recited was beautiful.
There are many more moments as Frasier is really a family show more than anything. I love it when Lilith and/or Frederick came for a visit. And even though I did not watch Cheers, It is a treat when some Cheers characters appeared on the show. This is the reason why the show endeared to its fans because it paid tribute to the predecessor show. As to the Frasier cast, kudos to them. They have created a classic and they will be forever remembered as being part of it.